Phone: +39 0461 314 549 Email: bisazza(AT)fbk.eu
I've successfully defended my thesis!! Thanks to all my colleagues for their support, and to my committee members for their stimulating comments and questions!
I'm PC member of NAACL, ACL and MT-Summit 2013
I spent the fall at Dublin City University for a research internship on word reordering.
- Improving word reordering for SMT between distant languages
- Linguistic pre-processing for SMT involving morphologically rich languages such Arabic and Turkish
- How linguistic knowledge can improve statistical MT techniques
Automatic Speech Recognition for Arabic
- Diacritization of Arabic script
- Morphological pre-processing
Software & scripts
- Phrase table fillup & other combination techniques for translation model adaptation: combine-ptables
- Hybrid Language Models: map infrequent words to POS tags and train topic-generic models for language style adaptation (implementation).
- Turkish Morphological Segmentation (designed as pre-processing for SMT from Turkish to English): whole preprocessing workflow or segmentation rules only.
- Unitex for Turkish
- Local grammars for Turkish subordinate clause classification.
2009-2013 Phd in Statistical Machine Translation
FBK - Human Language Technologies & University of Trento, Italy
- PC member of IWSLT (2010), ACL, WMT and EMNLP (2012)
- Best student paper at IWSLT-11
- Co-responsible for systems competing at NIST-MT 2009, IWSLT 2009 to 2012
- Speech recognition for Arabic
- Advisor: Marcello Federico
- PhD thesis title: "Linguistically motivated reordering modeling for phrase-based statistical machine translation"
- PhD commitee: Philip Koehn, Alexander Fraser, Christof Monz
2012 -- Research Internship
Dublin City University, Ireland
- Selective dependency subtree pre-ordering for phrase-based SMT
2011 -- Research Internship
Microsoft Research, Redmond, WA
- Discriminative models for improved reordering in dependency-based SMT
2008 -- Research Internship
University of Trento - Dipartimento di Ingegneria e Scienza dell'Informazione, Trento, Italy
- Annotation of speech corpora for Spoken Language Understanding
Publications (see also my Google Scholar profile)
- A. Bisazza, D. Pighin, M.Federico. Chunk-Lattices for Verb Reordering in Arabic-English SMT. In Machine Translation, Special Issue on MT for Arabic. Volume 26, Numbers 1-2. 2012.
- A. Bisazza, M. Federico. Modified Distortion Matrices for Phrase-Based Statistical Machine Translation. In Proc. of ACL, Jeju, Korea, 2012. [slides]
- A. Bisazza, M. Federico. Cutting the Long Tail: Hybrid Language Models for Translation Style Adaptation. In Proc. of EACL, Avignon, France, 2012. [poster]
- A. Bisazza, R. Gretter. Building a Turkish ASR system with minimal resources. In Proc. of LREC Workshop on Language Resources and Technologies for Turkic Languages, Istanbul, Turkey, 2012. [slides]
- A. Bisazza, N. Ruiz, and M. Federico. Fill-up versus Interpolation Methods for Phrase-based SMT Adaptation. In Proc. of the International Workshop on Spoken Language Translation, San Francisco, USA, 2011. Best Student Paper Award
- A. Bisazza and M. Federico, Chunk-Based Verb Reordering in VSO Sentences for Arabic-English Statistical Machine Translation. In Proceedings of the ACL 2010 Joint Fifth Workshop on Statistical Machine Translation and MetricsMATR. Uppsala, Sweden, 2010. [slides]
- A. Bisazza, M. Federico. Morphological Pre-Processing for Turkish to English Statistical Machine Translation. In IWSLT 2009 - International Workshop on Spoken Language Translation, Tokyo, Japan, 2009.
- A. Bisazza. Designing a NooJ module for Turkish inflectional analysis: an example of highly productive morphology. In A. Ben Hamadou, S. Mesfar, M. Silberztein Eds "NooJ 2009 International Conference and Workshop." Sfax, Tunisia, 2010. [slides]
- A. Bisazza, M. Dinarelli, S. Quarteroni, S. Tonelli, A. Moschitti, G. Riccardi, Semantic Annotations for Conversational Speech: from Speech Transcriptions to Predicate Argument Structures, SLT 2008
- N Ruiz, A Bisazza, R Cattoni, M Federico. FBK's Machine Translation Systems at IWSLT 2012's TED Lectures. In Proc. of the International Workshop on Spoken Language Translation, San Francisco, USA, 2011.
- N. Ruiz, A. Bisazza, F. Brugnara, D. Falavigna, D. Giuliani, S. Jaber, R. Gretter, M. Federico. FBK@ IWSLT 2011. In Proc. of the International Workshop on Spoken Language Translation, San Francisco, USA, 2011.
- A. Bisazza, I. Klasinas, M. Cettolo, M. Federico. FBK @ IWSLT 2010. In Proc. of the International Workshop on Spoken Language Translation, Paris, France, 2010.
- Ch. Hardmeier, A. Bisazza and M. Federico, FBK at WMT 2010: Word Lattices for Morphological Reduction and Chunk-Based Reordering. In Proceedings of the ACL 2010 Joint Fifth Workshop on Statistical Machine Translation and MetricsMATR. Uppsala, Sweden, 2010.
- N. Bertoldi, A. Bisazza, M. Cettolo, M. Federico and G. Sanchis-Trilles. FBK @ IWSLT 2009. In Proc. of the International Workshop on Spoken Language Translation, Tokyo, Japan, 2009.
- A. Bisazza, La représentation du turc en Unitex (Master Thesis in French), Supervisor: Pierre Zweigenbaum, Paris, 24 October 2008.
- Pre-ordering Dependency Subtrees for Phrase-Based SMT, Dublin City University, November 2012.
- Recent SMT advances at FBK, Microsoft Research, Redmond, May 2011.